Bebe Taian: For Sale: Beaded Kimono Accessories + Nagoya Obi

February 22, 2011

For Sale: Beaded Kimono Accessories + Nagoya Obi

I have stacks of kimono now. I never thought I would. Ten years ago, getting my first kimono, knowing nothing about them and not finding much on the subject in English, I never thought I'd have a closet full of them today. But I did decide back then that, if I could, I wanted to provide them to other people here in America as inexpensively as I could. Kimono should not be a staggering luxury. They are art- wearable, living art, and to truly be enjoyed, they must be able to be acquired, and they must be worn and displayed. Kimono are not precious things meant to be stuffed in a dark closet forever merely for the sake of preserving them. To wear a kimono is to enjoy art, and to breed love of that art in others- and that love will feed the desire to see and wear and enjoy kimono as well, and bring new life to them.

But with me (hopefully) moving in the next few months, it's time to let go of some of my things. I have stacks of obijime, kimono, an entire shelf of obi, and drawers of accessories. It's time to pick my favourites, the things I love most, and coordinated outfits- and then share the rest.

Starting with a pink and blue Nagoya obi ($50).

It's cute, isn't it? I have to find my notes on whether this is silk or synthetic, and retake measurements, but it's a wonderful, fun piece that I'd paired with dark and light kimono. If light, think whites and blues similar to the embroidery. If dark, think black, dark purple, deep blue with pink highlights somewhere in the kimono.

I've always loved some plainer kimono with really patterned obi- for me, focus is often really on the obi!

A dangling obi accessory, a cute handbag, or some awesome hanao on the geta are my usual go-to items for a great outfit. Thus, why I've been making obi charms and beaded haori himo since before Mamechiyo decided that they were fashionable!

Haori himo are a good way to avoid the hassle of changing traditional himo on haori. You have to cut the threads where the himo are connected and undo the himo from the haori loops before replacing them and sewing it back up, or cut your himo! o.O Beaded himo require neither- just attach and unattach. Haori sometimes come without himo pre-attached, so it's nice to have an easy method of closing the haori.

Himo run between 4-6" long. Each one is made of glass and base metals like zinc alloy. Most are one of a kind. $6 apiece. 

Obi charms especially are inexpensive ways to make your outfit stand out, especially when the beads are especially lovely or interesting. They are becoming increasingly popular with less-formal kimono such as yukata and komon. <3 I would, however, advise an obidome with more formal kimono.  Each obi charm goes for only $7. Most of them are one of a kind, and cannot be replicated. All are made from glass and base metals such as zinc alloy. Pics are coming soon!

Obidome for informal kimono can be hard to find, and when you do find one, they're expensive. KimonoHIME fashion is dependent on little touches like unusual scarves for obiage, or mixed fabrics like velvet and lace. Handmade obidome are one of those small touches.

I have two available right now: the blue/purple one shown, and a black/green one with silvertone wire as well. 

These can be custom-made with specific colour requests for only $15 apiece. Stone and sterling options are available, but price requests on cost of the commissioned work.

So, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. That first paragraph....it perfectly describes my views on wearing kimono! They are wearable art...and even better, when you wear one, you ARE an art piece! :D Couldn't have put it better myself, really.

    I've managed to overcome the hassle of having to cut and re-tie haori himo on by buying a few "haori hooks", which are basically just very tiny S-hooks. This allows you to change haori and himo very easily! Just slip on and off!

    ReplyDelete