Bebe Taian: For Sale: Synthetic Pre-War Komon

June 21, 2011

For Sale: Synthetic Pre-War Komon

I've listed a synthetic pre-war komon this week. It is definitely newer than Taisho, not a "remake" or a hemmed item. It is from probably the late 30s or early 40s, back when red linings were still in common use.

I didn't like this kimono so much when I got it. It didn't go as well as I thought with my skin tone, and I don't tend to care much for synthetics. But after awhile, it grew on me.

It does have a few damages, the most noticeable being the hole on the wrist hem of a sleeve. It could be repaired by simply turning the fabric around, but I never did. There is another hole at the hem at the bottom. I am not sure how repairable that one is. A few assorted stains, but none visible on the outside. Even so, I think it's relatively wearable for an ultra-casual event, like errand-running and such. Since it's a komon, it's already very informal, especially since it's synthetic instead of silk. The lining may be silk, but I cannot tell. But why would someone put a silk lining in a synthetic kimono?

At any rate, it's up on ArtFire and also on Ebay. The starting price on Ebay is slightly cheaper, but it is an auction. I highly doubt that the one on ArtFire will sell overnight, so I'm leaving them both up for now. I have the Tokyo komon on Ebay as well, for the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment