Bebe Taian: Beef Teriyaki OMG.

July 27, 2011

Beef Teriyaki OMG.

As previously mentioned, I am an idiot and ended up in the ICU. Yay for undiagnosed critical heart problems! As such, I am in some serious need of certain nutrients. I apparently go through them much faster than most people, and will until I get proper medication. Some of those nutrients include iron and protein!

Which would explain why I am now desperately craving beef teriyaki. Oh, Just Hungry site, how I love you. You make my adventures into learning Japanese cooking much less perilous. You allow me to have an idea of what I'm doing. Wonderful Obento Person, you ensure that I can cook delicious food.

Basic teriyaki sauce:
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper

You'll need some oil in a pan for searing the beef. I prefer a more tender cut, thin-sliced, so that it can be coated in teriyaki sauce and seared to a delicious shiny glaze almost instantly, before or after being threaded onto a skewer with slices of green onions. With a side of white rice, of course. Don't use Botan. It isn't even worth the glue I made from it last time I cooked. UGH. Use something like Kokuho Rose or Nishiki! It's slightly more expensive, but well worth it.

This meal alone I feel qualifies for a hearty obento. Add veggies if you like- my fave. is goma-ae. That'll be spinach, barely cooked (in order to get the most iron out of it, it needs to be cooked a little), tossed in mirin, soy sauce, sesame seeds, etc. I HATE spinach, but when my homestay mother made this for me, I discovered a love for vegetables I never knew I had. It was like experiencing God. But it was food. Pair these three things together, and you will have one of the most wonderful meals that has ever existed in the entirety of human history. Some people have adapted the recipe for broccoli, but to me, that's sacrilege!

Take a moment and thank the nice Just Hungry people for filling our lives with deliciousness. Just comment on your favourite articles. <3 They have an in-site search function for foods, as well as categories. Use them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment