Bebe Taian: Kinyoubi Kimono Challenge 7

July 6, 2012

Kinyoubi Kimono Challenge 7

Previously, "What you like and dislike about kimono."

7. Kimono confessions. Did you know that…

I bought a shiromuku long ago because I wanted to dress like the Fuji Musume ningyo when I was... 13? 14? It's funny looking back on those scant few memories from then. I felt so old. I still do. And now I look back and think of how young I was... I still have that dress. It was part of my wedding ensemble. I'll have to take photos sometime!

I never did get around to finding another kimono to layer over the shiromuku. My yellow furisode wasn't quite appropriate. One day, maybe I will cosplay her/him (it's a female character played by an onnagata- a male who specializes in female roles). By now, of course, I will be too old. A woman was 'grown' by 16 or so in 'old' Japan, as was the case most of the world over at the time.

The question is: shiromuku and kakeshita today are so thick! Silks from the old days were finer. Kimono of the same type today compared with my antique ones are nearly twice as thick. Thus, how a person could wear an outfit like this and not be incredibly bulky. Also, it looks less bulky on a doll of course, since most of it isn't really there- false layers of fabric and whatnot, and only one layer of obi instead of the double-wrap standard for actual kimono. And of course, where would I get a gold-flecked shiromuku? It's obviously for a prettier effect. Now, where to get a wisteria branch and hat? <3

Next: Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really, really want but can't get for whatever reason).

No comments:

Post a Comment