Bebe Taian: Welcoming the Summer Solstice

June 21, 2012

Welcoming the Summer Solstice

Today marks the Summer Solstice, called 'Geshi'. Technically it means "extreme summer". I wish I knew of some holiday event that comes with the day; the old Celt calendar held that the solstices were very important for religious purposes, but it seems that nothing similar exists in Japan.

As for myself, I will be slathered in sunscreen and avoiding the middle of the day as much as possible. I am not a fan of the sun. I don't actually like the heat very much. Anything over 75F is nearing intolerable, and Florida in the middle of summer is way hotter than that!

2 comments:

  1. I recall discussing some old French magic spells with my sister, and talking about making a Sun Seal. It requires making the seal at an appropriate time, and she suggested the solstice must be the right time. But actually with these French style spells zodiac signs and planetary alignments were considered more important. Solstices are apparently not valued by all cultures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That sounds pretty cool! I wonder how old the spells are? Anything 'modern' may have figured that since the Sun in central, it might not matter much since it's always there- but the planets are not, so those would be paid more attention to.

      Delete