Bebe Taian: Private Collection: Mon Mysteries

July 5, 2012

Private Collection: Mon Mysteries

Ichiraku and Ichino, courtesy of ~mariko~
A followup to my post on the black haori...

That crest is so distinctive, and after years of looking at kimono as frequently as possible, I know I haven't seen that crest on any 'normal' kimono items. Nor the other mon. So, what was the purpose of putting them on haori? Are there perhaps some private functions not part of their 'normal' jobs that require such a thing? Such as formal classes or something where a haori would be good to wear? Since both are lined, perhaps it's for the winter or fall, when it starts to get chilly.

Both are black with some detail, so they are not mourning clothing (mofuku). Both are very, very soft silk, clearly well-made. I'm not sure which one I like better, but I lean towards the first because it's just soooo soft... and I like the highly-textured weave of the chrysanthemums. Also, I really like the geometric pattern of the second one, and anything with asanoha makes me squee.

It's going to be a long, long while before I can afford to buy more kimono items, unless I can sell the pieces that do not fit me any longer. Then I can think about putting new things into my collection again! (Like maybe some shoes that fit... and some new socks...)

No comments:

Post a Comment