Bebe Taian: Kinyoubi Kimono 8

August 3, 2012

Kinyoubi Kimono 8

Previously, "Kimono confessions. Did you know that…"

8. Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really, really want but can't get for whatever reason).

I run a category called 'Coveted Kimono' to explore this very question. There have been so, so many things that I could never afford, or things that were once beautiful, but have been absolutely ruined by poor treatment or accidents that they would be unwearable, unsalvageable for anything but perhaps tiny scraps to work into quilts... and by that point, the weight of the larger picture would be lost.

Amongst them? 

A white juban with a realistic black snake moving across the grass painted on the hemline... heaping piles of furisode and wedding kimono I'll never wear... several hikizuri, including one depicting two heavenly foxes in battle... a gorgeous blue Taisho komon with rabbit in the moon patterns done in brilliant whites, reds, and golds... the thistle kimono that ended up being bought by Asai-san (she certainly has good taste!). There are so, so many. 

Can't hug every cat, can't have every kimono.

But as some small consolation, I can save a few photos of the ones I've loved, and appreciate the ones I've been able to have all the more for it. I am grateful for the prizes I've been able to wear, to care for, to treasure and display for others. 




Next: Your biggest kimono fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment