Bebe Taian: Kinyoubi Kimono 9

September 7, 2012

Kinyoubi Kimono 9

Previously, "Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really, really want but can't get for whatever reason)."

9. Your biggest kimono fears.

Staining or damaging my kimono. Many of them cannot be repaired once something happens.

I have a beautiful meisen haori that I adore. I wore it out to lunch at one point, a rather nice restaurant, but DH accidentally dropped something and it splashed onto one of the sleeves! O.o Auuugh! Left a stain, naturally. I still haven't been able to clean it out. 

My favourite grey silk kimono somehow* got a brown stain while in storage. I have no idea how that could of happened. No. Clue. ::sighs:: 

The purple kimono I recently bought was one I got to wear one time... just once. Tore the first day wearing it. The very bottom of the back tore alongside the seam, straight up, nearly a foot long. The fabric must have been weak. I doubt I can repair it well enough to wear it again like that, but I *might* be able to resew it into a haori.

I'm always worried that the times I wear my favourite pieces will also be my last, that something horrible will happen, that it will rain, or someone will drop a soy sauce jar, or SOMETHING that will irreparably damage my outfit. But what am I going to do, go out with a clear plastic bag over the whole thing? Not likely! A geisha's finery costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, but that doesn't stop her from wearing it around a bunch of drunk customers. So, with a brave face, the show must go on! Kimono are not meant to sit and rot in a dark closet. They are meant for wearing and displaying!


Next: Your biggest kimono inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! I once tore my favorite yabane hitoe walking out the door. The sleeve was super long Taisho style and the edge had gotten caught on the doorknob! Almost tore the whole sleeve off. I still have to repair it. But you're right, you can't let that stop you from wearing kimono out!

    ReplyDelete