Bebe Taian: Sashiko Stitching

February 5, 2013

Sashiko Stitching

I’ve had it in my head that this year, I really AM going to learn embroidery! Starting with the easiest kind: sashiko. Sashiko means “little stabs”, and is a type of embroidery/quilting made by running stitches. The sashiko needles are properly thin, long, and fairly flexible, as stitches are made all in one line, piled on the needle, and the thread is pulled through once.

I bought a book on the subject, and I’ve bookmarked a few free blogs on how to do sashiko properly. So far, I need lots of practice. I have piles of scraps only a few inches big. I intend to patchwork them together and practice different techniques on the various patches.

If anyone is interested, I bought The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook, and I follow Susan Briscoe’s blog. I also have Studio Aika’s tutorials pegged on my ‘headlines’ on Mozilla. I don’t have much time lately between three jobs and helping take care of my sister, my friends’ affairs (two have severe illnesses, one had a recent death in the family), and ‘home stuff’ like the daily chores and cat mom-ing, but I’m doing my best to get in some “sit down and sew” time.

Along with my goal of learning embroidery and sashiko, I have another goal: to use up the fabrics and craft supplies that I have. Hopefully, this approach will resolve both by the end of the year. I want all of this stuff gone! And to gain new skills! Yep, this is how it has to be. Soon I hope to have photos of a small bag I’m making for my MIL’s birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment