Bebe Taian: Coveted Kimono: The One That Got Away

March 3, 2013

Coveted Kimono: The One That Got Away

It's the one that got away.

I can't justify buying this gorgeous hikizuri when I can't do things like support myself on my income. I have other people to pay for, as well, so I had to let this one go. A local person is selling it for only $250, and it's in pristine condition, which is what made it so hard. Hikizuri kimono in very bad condition frequently go for double that on Ebay or Ichiroya, but this one had very few issues.

There's a dirt spot in the lining, some faint marks from trailing on the hem, and the white parts of the snow have the telltale aging yellowed patterns of spots from humidity exposure, but nothing ugly or overt. All in all, it's beautiful. The crests are sewn and glued on, not dyed, and the shoulders have been widened professionally, it looks like. The seller didn't have exact measurements, since he used it only as a display piece, but holding it up, it was easily more than six feet long. These things tell me that it is a relatively new piece, most likely Heisei era (the current era, post-1989).

If you would like to purchase this piece, please let me know and I'll contact him. I can ship it anywhere in the world, if the buyer pays for shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment