Bebe Taian: Private Collection: Kimono Haul 1

June 26, 2013

Private Collection: Kimono Haul 1

I'm not really back yet! I quit one job a little over a month ago, have had no hours on my second job since then (after a major disaster involving other employees and more money lost in one night than I made last year with 2-3 jobs! o.x), and am in the process of closing Perthro's. Other than that, it's just been de-stressing: cleaning up the apartment, a major feat after so much neglect; catching up with friends + solving crises; and actually taking some personal time for projects that I've wanted to do, like making kanji flash cards, working through the textbooks I've bought, etc. And oh, I picked up another part-time job anyways.

One of the luxuries this has afforded me (after socking some away in savings, of course!) is the chance to buy some new kimono things!

Some of them were purchased for Natsu Matsuri, the annual Summer festival that I attend every year as a vendor- totally justified! Others were purely for myself. After so long of making important decisions like "Do I get this dish soap now, or food for the rest of the week?" I was just incredibly excited about having spending money again... and I went a bit overboard.

Two narrow obijime in complimentary colours, to be worn together or separately, a pair of wooden zori-style shoes with usagi hanao, a coloured haneri, a couple pairs of tabi that fit, a pair of patterned stretch tabi for my sister, two obi, and a few kimono... I think that's it. But I'll soon have a sha obi to go with my summer kimono (which I lacked utterly), and a few more long-sleeved kimono in darker colours.

I've been inspired by ukiyo-e lately, looking to paintings for patterns and colours. I've found another with a black-backed, red and white asa-no-ha front panel being worn! So it looks like the one I picked up has a long-standing tradition. Surely, the maker also loved these artworks. I was looking for deep grey/blue, black/grey, and brown items especially, but as usual I fell in love with something else...
 This one looks brown, but it might be a brown-based black. That happens a lot! But the paprika-red, pale robin's egg, and white stripes give it a cool tone that should be easy to match to several obi, plus there are faint yellowy-tan streaks in there. I have a plain, undecorated yellowy-tan obi, so I think they will match up quite well! Perhaps I can one day get an obiage in the colour of the narrow red stripes to pair this and many other kimono with.

Another obi that I think *might* work is a floppy dragon motif obi that I own, which has similar blues and yellows, and definitely matches the red in small doses. The circular patterns give a nice balance to the geometrical stripes. It's black, though, not brown, on the background, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I would have to experiment. I am in need of a robin's egg or pale greenish-blue obi however, to wear with several of my kimono... and somehow, I keep buying kimono instead of obi. x.x When will I learn?

In any case, it's definitely a vintage piece. Look at those sleeves! How romantically long! The kimono itself is a little short, only around 60", or about half a foot shorter than I need it to be to fit properly. This probably fit a woman who was around 4'9", a little taller than the average height of women around Taisho era (1912-1926). The lining has since been replaced, so it's difficult to tell for sure.
 This is another beauty I'm working on acquiring. It isn't mine quite yet, but I hope it will be! The design reminds me quite a bit of the Taisho Rose kimono, but with a different colour scheme. Not so different, mind you: the salmons, pinks, and turquoise is still there! The background appears to be a brownish-burgundy from a distance, but actually, it is made of tiny burgundy and black checks.

At only 55" long, it is almost certainly a Taisho piece with the lining replaced. A hint of red inside the sleeves remains, and the wearer then would have been only 4'5". I like the contrasting pale buttery yellow of the new lining! It was light and refreshing for such an otherwise dark kimono. I do think this needs a pale obi to make it work: either pink, similar blue, or perhaps even that pale yellow!

I can't clearly make out what the flowers are supposed to be, but I think they are botan (peony). The perfect
pre-hitoe weather kimono, right at the end of March or the beginning of April.

I think black for this kimono would be far too dark, although *technically* my black and red shushu silk obi would match, as would the same obi I wore with the Taisho Rose kimono.

I probably shouldn't say anything about this yet, since it isn't officially mine... I'll move it to Coveted Kimono if I lose the auction. It's been happening a lot this week!

 This one, I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not... I'm not usually too good with cool-toned colours, as much as I like them. Purple is always a favourite, and I have a newfound penchant for meisen weaving, but I wasn't sure about this one...

Until I saw the close-up of the flowers. That bright moegi green! Oh! <3 How perfect! The smallest touch of such a lively colour in an otherwise relatively muted kimono, contrasting but not overpowering in the heavy arabesques and floral patterns. I love it!

I bought it at the last few minutes of the auction. Which now leaves me with a
question:

What obi do I wear this with?!

Okay, I didn't think ahead on this one. The only colours in it are green, pale purple, royal purple, and that pinkish burgundy. I have no obi in those colours. Any of them. Maybe I can take the opposite pairs and go with the plain yellow/tan obi? Tie it together with some similar accessories? I do have a purple obijime, at least. And I did buy a mofuku obi to make into a chuya or tsuke obi, depending on how much fabric I have (I don't remember how much I bought)... The back will remain patterned black, like chuya obi, but the middle panel of the front will be a similar green with black velvet arabesque patterns. Maybe it'll work!

Not really last, since I bought so much other stuff, but this is another kimono that I purchased...

This is another kimono which I initially took to be brown with woven patterns, but actually, it is black and red in incredibly narrow stripes. The geometrics are meisen-woven in primary colours + white. I'm not quite sure what I'll pair with it yet, but I'm thinking of perhaps the white, black, and orange obi I had for sale until it finds a home, or perhaps my red, white, and silver nagoya obi. The primary colour is red, and it has some angular lines on the taiko in white and silver. I think it'll work nicely with a white obiage and yellow or blue obijime. Maybe I'll see if I have an informal black marukuge just for this kimono!

There's more to come. So, so much more. But I need to dig up the purchase lists so I can post about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment