Bebe Taian: Coveted Kimono: Vintage Ofurisode

November 6, 2013

Coveted Kimono: Vintage Ofurisode

I think it's the glamour of what Halloween is supposed to be still clinging to me, but I've found myself looking at ofurisode. I liked ofurisode when I was 14, 15 years old (an appropriate age to be wearing them!) but I'm far too old for that now! And being married, ofurisode are wholly inappropriate for me to wear. The sleeves are cumbersome, to say the least. These were not kimono women worked in. These were clearly meant for ceremonial or special occasions!  And... I don't do a lot of those.

This gorgeous vintage bride's ofurisode features snowflake and butterfly patterns, with cascades of flowers in decadent late-Autumn, mid-Winter clothing. This specific colour palette is one of my favourites!

The bright metallic threads sparkling like snow, light embroidery at the bottom of the skirt, warm mustard yellows and bright red flowers livening up the icy blues and frozen earth brown... it's a perfect thing to wear or display in the home. Truly a work of art!

Sadly, it's already sold, but I have no use for a furisode at this point anyways. I'm glad it's found a good home. Hopefully that person adores it as much as I do!

This shibori furisode kimono is just stunning. The sheer amount of technical work that went into making this luxurious piece is... unthinkable. All of this is genuine shibori, not printed faux shibori, meaning that every tiny dot used to make that pattern was hand-tied with thin threads to produce this unique nubbly silk fabric.

The subdued black/grey is sophisticated enough for a reserved but still young woman, with hints of the salmon orange and mustard yellow cascading down streams for just a touch of colour. This is probably the sort of ofurisode I'd wear today, unlike the brighter, more bold patterns of my teenage years! A simple metallic gold obi to wear it with, perhaps, or maybe a deep mustard with hints of black and orange.

What do you think? Do you have a favourite ofurisode style?

No comments:

Post a Comment