Bebe Taian: For Sale Sunday: Taisho Kakeshita, Yukata, Sake Cups

December 15, 2013

For Sale Sunday: Taisho Kakeshita, Yukata, Sake Cups

Horrible things seem to happen to me a lot. Like, seriously, a lot. I have no idea how this happens. But I do know this: I don't give up, and if that means selling off the private collection to put a roof over our heads, so be it! I bought a months' worth of food for the cats, and plenty of litter every chance I get, so they won't go neglected. But the car accident, injuries, loss of transportation, and losing all four of our collective jobs (plus getting laid off of a replacement job this weekend) is just... it's seemingly insurmountable right now. A lot of people have helped us in the past few months by purchasing the haori, kimono accessories, and pagan supplies. For all of you, I thank you! <3

This week, plenty is up for sale. Stay tuned next week for all new stuff!

Antique Bridal Kimono + Possible Maiko Hikizuri

Some of you will remember this wonderful piece of art and history. It was sold as a maiko's hiki from Taisho era, but it may have also been used as a wedding kakeshita. It seems some kimono of this type were simply sold or traded because of the expense involved with making them, and what was remembered in one city might be new to the next. It does have the appropriate pinholes in the sleeve, but the Kyoto seller was unwilling to name the geisha who (supposedly) sold it to him. I bought another hikizuri from the same seller, so this might be a legitimate claim. But how unsightly to think of a geisha needing money for a kimono!

Be aware that this kimono is fragile. I haven't worn it, even to display. Instead, I've kept it wrapped in paper and brought it out only for show. Because it uses real kinran (metal-leaf paper-wrapped thread), and not the synthetic kind used later, it's easy to see what a process it was to make this kind of valuable thread. Today, of course, plastics are generally used as they don't ruin the fabric through staining or rust.

This vintage indigo yukata in my favourite pattern, stylized asa no ha, comes with a bright red wool obi.

It's sewn fairly narrowly, but there's plenty of fabric tucked into the seams if someone wants to restitch it to make it a few inches larger. The original stitching is hand-sewing, as is traditional and even expected of most kimono.

I need to pull it out and get measurements of it this weekend. Now that I have a working camera, I can take more photos, too!

I also have two sets of 24k gold plated sake cups. One is a matched Kotobuki set (longevity), in three different sizes, likely for a ceremony. The other is a mismatched set of 5, three with designs and two plain. All show signs of wear, being as old as they are. However, replating is available locally for a fee to cover the jewellers' costs.

I have a few more individual cups for certain events, like golf tournaments, years of the monkey and boar, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment