Bebe Taian: The Weekender, Vol. 3

January 18, 2014

The Weekender, Vol. 3

THIS WEEK:

I found my old stash of bookmarks from many OS-reinstalls ago! <3 Reorganizing them has been a challenge and a thrill. I was sad to find that a website once focused on LGBT resources in Japan has since been bought by another Japanese company which has since erased any mention of the history of the site.

I did break out the kanji cards I made myself! I may start taking 10-15 at a time to work each week and studying in our downtime. <3 Writing them myself instead of printing them took forever, but I think I'll remember them better if I write them myself. You can make some too!

Check out Wikipedia's list basic kanji. You can copy these characters to Paint if you have Japanese support installed. I use Paint on a 700x1000px bitmap so that I can print as many as possible on a standard sheet of paper. Then I printed them out, cut them into squares, and used clear packing tape to affix them to 1/2size flash cards. On the back I wrote info from Denshi Jisho to define each one. I started with 100 that I thought I'd learn quickly, and included some that are very similar to each other to quiz myself on the difference. I'll probably start like my Japanese teacher did- 10 a week, make a list of what 10 in English, then at the end of the week look at the list and have to write the kanji from memory. Grade myself and be honest about rotation and ability to remember. Repeat!

WEEKEND READING?

- Hamasaki Ayumi's "GAME" made it back into my playlist this week! It's a blast from the past, circa 2004, but it's a fun video for such an emotional song.
- An article from 2012 is circulating it's way around Tumblr again, and it's always worth re-reading: Female game designers of Japan. A reminder that the idea that women don't play video games and don't do computers/programming/design is a lie. We rock, and we need more opportunities to show it!
- Yamatoku Kimono has undergone a massive redesign and now offers bulk kimono for wearing and for crafting. If you do both, be sure to check out his listings! Yamatoku has been around a long time and was one of the first sellers I bought from on Ebay.
- Surviving in Japan looks like a handy guide to getting around and doing things 'right'. If your interest is daily life in Japan, and your Japanese is still rusty, this might help you!

SURVEY:

Who is your favourite J-pop artist? 
Hnnn always a toss-up. I like Ayu always, because she was the first J-pop artist I was introduced to, and she has so much grace and style when she messes up on stage. She's human like us! Even if I sometimes think her voice is a little too high-pitched for my taste...

Are you teaching yourself another language? What language?
I don't know about teaching myself. >D Obviously Japanese, but it's pidgin Japanese at best. I need a real tutor!
 
Did you celebrate Seijin no Hi this week (even if you're not in Japan)?
Nope, way too old now. :P Besides, it's only for 19-20 year olds, so there's a really narrow range to celebrate unless you're the parent of someone that age.
 
What kind of crafting do you do? 
Sewing, crochet, papercrafts, jewellery-making, candle-making. I diversify, since I always want to learn something new. Maybe this year I'll take another stab at sashiko. (Sashiko= "little stabs", taking a stab, yeah? I kill me.)
 
Who is your favourite kimono designer?
Hnnn Mamechiyo wins for inventive and fresh, but I prefer some of the unnamed designers who made my favourite antiques. Taisho Roman will never be out of style for me, even though their names were lost to time...

Your turn!

Who is your favourite J-pop artist? 
Are you teaching yourself another language? What language?
Did you celebrate Seijin no Hi this week (even if you're not in Japan)?
What kind of crafting do you do? 
Who is your favourite kimono designer?

No comments:

Post a Comment