Bebe Taian: Sold! One of a Kind Beaded Haori Himo

June 28, 2014

Sold! One of a Kind Beaded Haori Himo

I sold a few haori himo in the past two weeks! Very exciting since the festival was fun, but 0 profit... and well, it ended up costing money to prepare and go. But even so, it was very fun! I even re-found the tea canister maker! <3 His products are way superior to the cans sold at places like Teavana, and for the same price range. I can't wait to have some spending money to get a few.

But back to the haori himo. I made a pile of them because... well, I could make bracelets, but I like haori. >D Maybe I should try to make dual-purpose items? They're both 7-9" long... something to think about.

This one was made from discontinued Blue Moon leaf-shaped beads, metal spacers, and AB crystal-cut glass. My favourites are the late-Summer, mid-Fall dragonfly beads. Here in FL, there are mosquitoes all over the place, year-round, but they get bad especially in the damp, humid Summer and Fall before it starts to cool. Dragonflies come out from everywhere to eat them, as many as they can. It's pretty rare for me to see a red one, but a lot of dragonflies I find are green or blue, or black/gold with tortoiseshell wings. It'll be especially lovely on any Summer or Fall-motif haori, like the one it was photographed with! Congrats to the new owner.

This himo was bought by the same person who purchased the himo above. Another himo made with discontinued glass. You can't tell by the photos, since it's difficult to capture, but the red glass has golden frost in the centre which becomes brighter when the light shifts, matching the metal spacers and faceted glass beads. Somehow, gold clasps just didn't fit, though- or at least, I thought so at the time. Maybe to make the beads stand out more? Bronze was used instead.

Faux coral haori himo with plastic, glass, and metal gold-toned spacers. This was made from a vintage Japanese-made necklace that was just beyond repair. I wanted to re-use as many of the beads as possible to keep with the spirit of the original.

The benefit of plastic over almost any other material is that it's lightweight enough to use on older or more fragile fabrics without the weight breaking threads or pulling/tearing fabric. And because of the more traditional look, it's prime for any Taisho or war-era piece! Even though no one wore beaded himo then, it's a way to keep simplicity and style in line with the fashion of the times. I'm sure if there were such things as these during the 1920s, Japanese women would have taken to them as they did obijime and other accessories.

Anyways, I'm excited that these have gone. I expected to be a little sad, but I'm not. I'm really happy that they will (presumably) be worn and cared for. There are lots more up for sale if you want your own! And of course, I can do custom commission if you're trying to match a particular outfit.

Come see the others on BebeTaian.etsy.com

1 comment:


  1. Read your blog post, nice articles. By the way, we are running a amazing blog @BleuBeaute of skincare products, to keep your skin glowing and radiant. From serums, to creams, and oils, you will be amazed by what you see. Read More

    ReplyDelete