Bebe Taian: Kimono, Revisited.

June 28, 2017

Kimono, Revisited.

Some months ago, during the Spring semester, I was somewhat re-inspired to try wearing kimono again. Depression is one of those things that robs all joy from things you kind of vaguely remember liking once, and I don't remember being any other way really... but the only way to stop is to stop, right? So... I'll try.

I met a Japanese Okinawan woman who adores kimono fashion and started trying to visit her every week on slow nights. She runs a restaurant. Since I downloaded an app called 72 Seasons which tells me a little of seasonal foods, words, and other tidbits, I've combined this with kimono seasonal knowledge to build weekly outfits with the goal of 72 total. Naturally I never got that far! But at least I've worn my bright green summer kimono twice in the past month...

I wish I had dated some of these photos. Some of them were from the beginning of March- Tay-tay was alive then. She loved kimono. She was the Takehisa cat. <3

These are the breakdowns of some of these outfits from then:

The haori is a silk with an arabesque pattern on a speckled grey/gold fabric. It's absolutely beautiful, one of my art deco favourites.

The kimono is a 1930s or 1940s silk komon-hybrid with gold and silver threads on an all-over woven pattern in dusky purple with red lining. It has an embroidered mon on the back, setting it at an elevated formality from komon; perhaps this was an early 1900s iromuji-komon hybrid? That would make sense. The kimono is quite short though, so little or no ohashori.

The juban is pale pink with a woven chrysanthemum haneri in white chirimen. For all the kimono I own, I have very few eri. I need to fix that!

The obi is my gold one which reminds me of an illuminated manuscript somehow, like something out of Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" (and what I'd give for THAT obi! It was made some time ago for furisode!) The deep orange in the obi is highlighted by the more intense orange-red obiage, and the purple in the obi and kimono was echoed in the narrow but decorative obijime, tied in such a way that still hints at a little youth, rather than an old women out of another age.

White tabi, of course, for a traditional-style outfit, with straw-bottomed zori with black straps with white pinstripes. I do need to get a few more pairs of shoes to match up to my kimono. My brocade ones need new soles before they become irreparable. The leather has cracked. Aaaugh. So straw-bottoms, it is. At least the hanao somewhat match the collar and deeper aspects of the haori. <3

Gah, sorry about the lighting in the apartment. We leave the LED lights up year-round; cheaper than most lighting, and cats can't knock it over! Plus, it's dark enough to leave on overnight, especially for kitties who are aging and can't see so well anymore. Bonus perks: foxfire eyes??

Judging by the last vestiges of purple and red, this was maybe late February, during "Mist Starts to Linger"/"Earth Becomes Damp" season. I'll post another set soon!

Edit: This set was taken 3/2/17, "Grass Begins to Sprout, Trees Bud".

No comments:

Post a Comment